Aaaack! I need to upload for Yuletide because I will be so incredibly, insanely busy tomorrow, and while my story isn't quite polished and finished I know if I take the time to polish and finish tomorrow after my torts exam I'll be trying to upload at 11pm and the servers will die and I won't be able to so I need to upload tonight except the servers are dead NOW and I have to sleep and I don't have time to upload tomorrow morning because torts exam and aaaah!
AO3, I love you so dearly. It's not your fault; Yuletide could kill any servers.
Oh god, it's Christmas in like FIVE DAYS. How awesome is that? I am SO EXCITED.
1. Send me a card! And let me send you one. I adore them.
2. Upload your favorite Christmas song for me. I prefer religious Christmas music (I'm a weird atheist with an emotional attachment), but I'll try anything.
3. Tell me about New York! I know some of you live near the city, and I know more of you must have experience here. What are your places? Best kept-secrets? Jogging routes, Sunday brunch spots, favorite subway busker, that not-in-the-guidebooks thing you take visitors to, that one event you go to every year, that one blog you read for local stuff? Alternatively: your favorite memory of New York, or just something you love about it. Tell me something!
4. I would love graphics for any fic I've written. People who get cover graphics for their fic are so special.
5. Speaking of graphics, I still dream of a journal header with some combination of the Enterprise, Serenity, a viper, a puddlejumper, the TARDIS, an SG-1 Stargate, and the Metallicar (because I seem to have a modes-of-transportation fetish).
6. Gift certificates for restaurants. I mean, just stuff like Subway- I like eating things I don't make.
7. I have no professional clothes, and this is soon to be a problem. Gift certificates, or advice. I know roughly what I need (a couple simple suits, some kind of sufficiently dressy shoes that aren't pumps, lots of basic blouses that I don't hate, a new good leather belt...) but I have no idea really where to get them for any kind of price I can afford. Is there a secret?
8. A wish for fandom at large: Keep writing SG1 and SGA. I know they're both off the air now, I know it'll die out eventually, just... not yet?
9. And lastly, for Christmas I want to get As on my exams. Somebody see to that, please. *g*
My address is in this filtered post. Or just drop a comment and I'll get it to you, if you want.
Who are you, and what is your mailing address?
And what's do you celebrate?
Hanukkah for me (send it fast!)
I'm a Christian / I don't object to the cultural presumption of Christianity
I reject your god! (But I want a shiny card anyway)
( Dear Yuletide Santa )
Thank you again, Yuletide writer!
Just sent out my New Years cards (because let's face it, if they go out after the mail has been picked up on the 23rd? No longer Christmas cards). I just realized after all the envelopes were sealed that I addressed them to either a person's lj name OR their real name, completely at random, and I signed either my real name OR my lj name, also completely at random. Yaay fungible identities in the modern world. Nobody laugh at me too hard.
Have been hanging out in #yuletide and betaing like a mad thing. You guys, the Yuletide mods are the hardest working bunch of awesome people in all fandom, I swear. This is the highlight of my year, and watching them deal with two server slowdowns and the Great Pinch Hit Kerfuffle of 09... it's inspiring, is what it is.
Dear Yuletide Author,
First of all, thank you SO MUCH for agreeing to write me a present! I picked four fandoms I just love, and I know getting fic in any of them will absolutely fill me with glee.
I know writing exchange fic can be problematic- remember, optional details are optional. All fannish things on this journal are unlocked. Feel free to browse. Note that I am difficult to squick and adore dialog and banter. I like having concrete starting bunnies, so I will throw you some, and I'll also try to tell you what I like about these fandoms... but you can also stop reading right now if you like, and anything that really speaks to you will be wonderful.
( Cut! )
Wow, I sure have been absent, no? It turns out that the internet connection here is flakey. Haven’t read flist since Thursday, won’t til next week. I miss you all. Merry Christmas in advance.
Random: On Thursday I had a lesson with this ESL student. He had a workbook page to do: "Words ending with -ship." One of the words was friendship, which he knew. The next was battleship. I asked him if he knew what a battleship was. He thought about it for a few minutes, and then made a perfectly reasonable analogy. "It's what you have when you're enemies. I have a friendship with my boss. I have a battleship with my ex-wife."
Random 2: We are under 14 inches of snow. This is the most snow I have ever seen, I am pretty sure. Walking through it is bizarre and deeply cool. Have discovered that once you pack things down enough, a snowboard actually makes a pretty good sled. (whee!). My dad is in seventh heaven, shoveling and bitching about all the people who don’t know how to drive.
There is an absolute flood of stories over at sga_santa. Quite a lot of them are getting lost in the shuffle, I think, and there’s not a lot of feedback going up in general. (Not that I’m helping- I’ve had barely any time to read!) I’ll stick up a recs list soon (or at least, a rec list out of the 15 or so stories I read). Are there any other recs lists up? I’d love to read some more of these, but no TIME.
I am 2000 words into my second Yuletide story, and I think I might be able to hit three. V. proud.
So, a holiday season in two parts:
One, the card list. Please let me send you a card.
Second, the wish list meme. Please link me to yours if you wrote one, as I'm likely to be oblivious about that too.
Okay. Flist spammage done.
*rings the ceremonial gong*
That's it. Holiday season!
- Make a post (public, friendslocked, filtered...whatever you're comfortable with) to your LJ. The post should contain your list of 10 holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fandom-related ("I'd love a Snape/Hermione icon that's just for me") to medium ("I wish for _____ on DVD") to really big ("All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV.") The important thing is, make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
- If you wish for real life things (not fics or icons), make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it's your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) could get in touch with you.
- Also, make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your LJ, so that the holiday joy will spread.
- Surf around your friendslist (or friendsfriends, or just random journals) to see who has posted their list. And now here's the important part:
- If you see a wish you can grant, and it's in your heart to do so, make someone's wish come true. Sometimes someone's trash is another's treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don't want or a gift certificate you won't use--or even know where you could get someone's dream purebred Basset Hound for free--do it.
You needn't spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn't to put people out, it's to provide everyone a chance to be someone else's holiday elf--to spread the joy. Gifts can be made anonymously or not--it's your call.
There are no rules with this project, no guarantees, and no strings attached. Just...wish, and it might come true. Give, and you might receive. And you'll have the joy of knowing you made someone's holiday special.
( My list )
Never fear, I send sparkly holiday season cards of no religious content. Or I will send you a Hanukkah card instead, if I know I should (I am likely to be oblivious unless you tell me, but I have the best of intentions. I swear).
Dear Yuletide Santa,
First of all, thank you SO MUCH for agreeing to write me a present! I picked four fandoms I just love and crave fic in, and I hope you won't find my requests all impossible. I wasn't going to write a letter, but last year I saw some friends of mine freaking out because their recipients didn't, and I don't want to be difficult. ( So I shall go the 'tell you what I love about these fandoms' route. )
I hope those were helpful rather than demanding; I'm sure that if you loved these fandoms enough to offer them, I'll love the story!
I am wildly amused that xkcd posted this strip right after I started using Twitter. Twitter amuses me in general, actually. I am dragojustine if anybody wants to pop in and find me, though I doubt I'll use it all that much. Mostly, I just think the xkcd guy is the cleverest guy on the internet and I have a brain-crush on him.
It's YULETIDE time! Fandom nominations will be open for the next ten days. Remember, if you want to ask for or offer a fandom, you need to nominate it; you can't just assume. And if you are on the fence? You should totally sign up, and we can freak out together.
Chronicles of Narnia
Wizard of Earthsea
Slings & Arrows
( In which I had a fantstic Christmas )
( And yet I am incredibly sad and weepy anyway )
I have been crying about it off and on since noon on Christmas. Not “my dog died and I got dumped and my world is ending” tears, but just a constant, low-level sadness at the way things change and pass into memory and can never be reclaimed.
LIFE IS SO AWESOME!
Plus, I hung out in the #yuletide IRC room (which is where I got two of those beta projects) marveling at all the INSANE people writing five or six pinch-hits and stocking stuffers and generally reveling in the awesomeness. I saw a bunch of requests I would have loved to have written, except it turns out you can't write a stocking stuffer unless you are a participant alraedy, which I didn't know. So. Next year. I wish I'd found my fandom spine about a month earlier, then I would have signed up.
Plus, how much do you love a chatroom that involves lines like "If two amoebas have sex, is it slash?"
*loves and huggles fandom forever and ever*
Tomorrow, I get up early and work on spn_holidays and laze around until late afternoon. Then walking around downtown to look at the pretty lights and Christmas Eve dinner with Nana and over to Grandma and Grandpa's. CHRISTMAS!
What am I, five years old?
( On going home for the holidays )
( Random hot guy )
So tomorrow I will be getting up and finishing up some beta obligations (sorry desertport, I promise!) and doing my own writing. Then when parents are at church I’m going to be a present-wrapping maniac whirlwind, and then they’ll get home and the entire house will be taken over by a frenzy of baking. Then it’s Christmas!
I was really really looking forward to seeing ryuutchi and company at the Roxy tomorrow night. I bought my ticket and everything and it was going to be very relaxed with, you know, no pressure and good music and fun LA sight-seeing and fangirls.
Right now I want to try to meet up with ryuutchi at, I don't know, sevenish? and pick up my ticket and maybe stay until 9 or 9:30 and try to get to the big Thing by 10. But that's going to be frustrating and stressful and require me to wear fancy clothes I hate to the fun thing and maybe I won't bother and goddammit I'm going to CRY. Am crying. Fuck.
On a totally other note,
( It's officially the holiday-season and I'm SO EXCITED )
ONLY 16 MORE DAYS TILL I GO HOME FOR CHRISTMAS! (and 20 more days till Christmas, but the going-home countdown is more exciting)
Successful "write a little bit every day" days-in-a-row: Fail. I fell asleep at like 9:30 last night accidentally, because this boring job makes me so tired for no apparent reason.
Want to be amused?
I clipped my cat's claws. The two front sets, anyway, as the experience was rather too traumatic to do all four at once. It was... startlingly easy, considering that this cat draws blood from me regularly. He just squirmed a little, and objected in non-blood-drawing ways and then seemed to resign himself and I just pinched his little pads and out they popped and snip-snip-snip. I'm really quite proud of myself. For some reason sucessfully clipping a cat's claws feels like a huge achievement to me. Yaay me!
Also, remember to let me send you a card.